Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Learn me on impact vests

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosmo

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Learn me on impact vests Reply with quote

I just wanted to know the basic differences in a life jacket and an impact type vest. I have been borrowing a Body Glove life jacket from my buddy but now want to get my own. I have been wakeboarding for a couple months now and am progressively getting better with my ts and hs cuts but still take some pretty good diggers. One question I have is do impact vests absorb more of the impact of a fall or is a life jacket better? Are impact type jackets less bulky? Finally how are impact jackets for keeping you afloat? I am a great swimmer so I'm not worried about sinking but sometimes its just nice to lay back and float til the boat comes around.

Here is one jacket that I am currently looking at, I'm not sure if it would be considered an impact jacket or something else. Any opinions on the jacket would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.gettommys.com/cart.cfm?cart_action=item_info&category_guid=1D9A4B6B-FFB2-22AF-2624-5435ECD1AE68&item_guid=bedfd747-65bf-d230-4c22-2edced8d15c2

Thanks,
Rosmo
Prizzy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i have never heard of this either... I wear a CGA and i dont think a vest would make that much difference in a impact??? I needsta be learned too.
Christobull
Addict
Addict

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised that vest isn't CGA. It doesn't look like most NCGA vests to me, but apparently it's a lot thinner.
mucksoup
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: eugene

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the diff. ncga vest are alot thiner(you can move around alot better).
cga vest help you stay above water, while down.

Christobull
Addict
Addict

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too answer your question more directly, I don't think that a NCGA vest will provide as much protection from falls, but then again, how much protection can you really get?
Prizzy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly but what is it protecting you from? Your body twisting in unnormal ways or water SLAP! similar to a belly flop in a pool? I dont see where impact protection could help at all in wakeboarding, you either hit the water at 22 mph or not.
Rosmo

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright that's what I needed to know.

Thanks guys
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind with Non CGA vests. You can die. A non-cga vest has not been approved by the coast guard so it may not float you if you are knocked out. NCGA vests do sell 5-1 over CGA vests but do know that a CGA vest will float you if you knock yourself out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster is right; keep that in mind. If you're dead set on a NCGA vest, make sure it will at least keep you on the surface of the water (not necessarily completely floating like a CGA vest does, but enough so someone can find you). If you catch your toe/heelside and get your board ripped off and knocked out in one fall you can sink completely. If you're underwater nobody can see you and you can definitely drown in 4 feet of water or less by the time someone gets to you and is able to find you.
Prizzy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster, GnarShredd, got it right exactly, i never rode in an NCGA and i dont ever plan on risking it considering ive already concussed myself wakeboarding.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prizzy, Totally, I ride a NCGA vest when I can (you have to have an approved vest at the cable park) but i made sure to get one that will at least float me if something were to happen.
alpalwal

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it depends - I've ridden with a couple NCGA vests and some will completely keep me floating and I can't tell they're not CGA. Other vests I have used are pretty ineffective at keeping me floating.
Prizzy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as im concerned the only reason NCGAs are made is to fool water cops... Im pretty sure that on every lake in the U.S. it is a law that you must wear a CGA vest while being towed and to be honest with you it is very hard to tell the difference at a far, therefore fooling the watercops. to each his own but i know im not arrogant enought to put my life on the line over a ticket and i little bit of flexibilty knowing how easy it is that something could happen while riding. who was it that got knocked out in a contest maybe like 2 years ago? I remeber reading he was face down in the water till the towboat got to him.
curtblanchette
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Kelowna, British Columbia

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 2009 JetPilot A-10 Attack vest that's NCGA and although it doesn't keep your head above water without a little treading, i feel like its significantly different when crashing than any other bulky CGA vest. I don't know if its the ergonimcal design of the vest and the pads but i've taking less painfull slaps with it on as compared to a CGA vest. The mobility of this vest is outstanding and unsurpassable. as for impact resistance the cut-outs between the EVA foam are designed to push the water away from the falling rider and channel it out instead of something flat that would just SMACK the water. (more surface area = worse impact).
Although if your a beginner rider I do not recommend an NCGA vest. I tell people they should know what its like to go unconcious face down in the water before they wear an NCGA vest. Because all of us serious riders know that if your gonna go down hard you better be prepared to hit the water right and accept the hurt. And if you aren't prepared for the pain or a concussion this vest won't be holding you up so you can't rely on it to support your broken ass.
Although I love it to death. It's a decision you'll have to make.

Here's a picture of the JetPilot A-10 Attack
http://www.goodtime.com.au/files/jetpilot-a10-attack-white-front-2008.jpg
hope this helps some of you in purchasing a new vest.
walb0244
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Terre Haute

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I understand the difference between the CGA and NCGA vests. But is there a difference between like a wakeboard vest and a swat vest or a impact vest? Or are most the impact vest and swat vest NCGA so they kinda gave them a new name?
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A swat vest? Not sure what you mean.

In any case, you being new to this, get a CGA vest. You will gain nothing with a impact ncga vest. Some crashes are going to hurt, but it's better to deal with some pain then die. I haven't been knocked completely out yet, but I have bobbed up not knowing WTF was going on or were I was for a few seconds. I don't know if I could swim in that state or not, but my CGA vest brought me right up and floated me till I got my senses back. In simple terms....

Impact vest=might float you, might not
Swat vest=stops bullets and you will sink like a rock
CGA WB vest=your head will be above water no matter how bad you are broken

flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swat vest is just a type of vest that Helium makes. Swat is just the model. Helium makes a Swat CGA and a Non-CGA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
hatboy162

City: Winnipeg

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I like the Ronix Coordinate vest. But yes a vest is lighter than a life jacket so it doesn't float as well but they're way more comfortable than life jackets when riding but if you ever fall really hard and knock yourself out (I almost have and some pros have) than it wouldn't keep you a float as well but it would still keep you a float for a little while.

-Corey Kraut
Birdweezey

City: Norman

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what this vest is like? i.e. will it keep me afloat at all or is it a very slim vest?

http://www.proboardshop.com/wkvlfca04gr9zz-liquid-wakeboard-vests.html
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very slim vest. It will give you just about as much float as a billabong nova or modernizm. They give you some float but not very much.
Birdweezey

City: Norman

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks
lucasade66

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Mystic wake force vest, which is a very solid vest , also keeps my head out of water on exhale. I havn't yet been knocked unconscious by a fall but have been very close and found it no problem at all however when i attempt new tricks which i know i will fall hard on i switch vests to a CGA vest just to be safe.
chris1984

City: Sylvan Lake

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would a ncga vest keep you floating after a fall while you're waiting for your ride and you still have the board attached to your feet which is pulling your feet up and kinda forcing the rest of your body down??
intotheflats
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Port Clinton, Oh

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucasade66, chris1984, Seeing as how this thread was started almost a year ago, I think he probably already got his answer.

Good job not starting a new thread though. Wink

*2011 wakeboarder.com fantasy football champion*
lucasade66

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahah just thought id get involved haha Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: