Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Interested. Throw all your newb advice my way.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christobull
Addict
Addict

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Interested. Throw all your newb advice my way. Reply with quote

I haven't spent much time on the wakeskate forum, but I read through the topics still up on the first page. My friend and I talk off and on about maybe picking up a skate and trying it out, but we're for the most part undecided about what we should look for. I have a skateboarding background, but my friend I typically wakeboard with does not. Hyperlite has some cheap decks with a foam top on sale at a local shop, and I was thinking about those. My friend says he's read somewhere that the grip tape will get you hurt pretty bad, but I don't really buy it. I skimboard a lot, and have never had a problem with falling on my board, but rather my board hitting me. He says he doesn't want to fall on sandpaper. Is that a legitimate concern? Also I've read some of the other post that talk about wearing shoes even with the foam. Wondering how many of you do that, and why? Also cost of wake shoes verses cost of skate shoes, how does it add up? Would it be better to go for the real deal so they last longer, or are better in general? Honestly, the boards aren't that expensive, so I wouldn't mind just getting a decent one even though I'm probably not going to fall in love with it. I like to jump high and do flips and shot (edit courtesy of the IPhone) if you know what I mean. Just shoot me some thoughts, and I'll see if I can't get out on a skate before the season's over.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not that sure just go ahead and get a flat or basic concave deck. I would recommend a grip-tape surface. A LOT of that choice is personal preference however in general, griptape is more responsive and has a more skate-type feel. (personally I can't handle foam-top boards because they squeak whenever you move your feet and it annoys me, also, it seems to me that some of the energy you put in to an ollie or shuvit gets absorbed by the foam).

On an injury standpoint, you're pretty much right. The griptape won't make that much of a difference except you may get an occasional little sandpaper burn on you if you fall on top and slide across it, but it's no biggie. What you have to watch out for are the edges of the board flipping up and hitting you (although that's just a part of the sport and foam won't make that any safer Twisted Evil ). Tell your friend to man up! Laughing

As far as shoes go, I started riding with just some old junky skate shoes I had lying around the house and they worked fine for a while. Then once I really got in to wakeskating I got wakeskate specific shoes. You can really get away with anything that has a lot of mesh and will drain well. Most skate shoes I've used hold up just as well as wakeskate specific shoes, they just get really heavy once they soak up water.

I think that covered most of what you asked. I'll check this thread later too, let me know if I missed something.
Christobull
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnarShredd, I think you covered it, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to tell him to man up too.
Christobull
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'm getting more serious now. Looking for some good deals on my first skate. Could you throw out some more quality boards for me to keep an eye out for?
Steven M
Criminal
Criminal

City: Merced

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christobull, I'd recommend the Integrity "DaDa". It's a 5 ply wood flat deck with urethane sidewalls and a PBT top/bottom sheet to protect the wood core. It's a 41in board and weighs about 10lbs and is coming from a quality company.

Best part, only $125.

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, integrity is solid.

Oak is good too if you're looking for a really good concave wood deck. I haven't ridden them but I hear NEW wakeskates has some good deals and a decent product but they're sometimes hard to get a hold of.
Steven M
Criminal
Criminal

City: Merced

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integrity is solid, but a handful have been beat. Usually a very hard/fast slam into the sidewall while on a rail or box. Say a nail/screw head is poking up or the trex is isn't flush, but this is rather rare. Be ready for a wait though, the boards can sometimes take a few weeks to get to you but they are worth the wait.

I've yet to ride an Oak but have heard nothing but good things of their boards. Be aware that over time all wood boards do warp/water log but again from what I've heard Oak does a great job sealing their decks, but you can always ass an extra coat or two yourself for added safety.

I've ridden a NEW deck a few times and it a great skate too. Very well built and a nice ride. They do custom decks as well as graphics but I've heard their regular shapes are fine. They have been known to play telephone/e-mail tag as members of wakeskating.com have expressed before but they do always come though in the end.

Christobull
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the boards get waterlogged, are they covered under warranty, or should I re-coat them to protect it?
Christobull
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question... On the New flat decks, is it still concave? I don't care for the bi-level decks.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, generally if a board is listed as flat, it's pretty much going to be a shaped piece of plywood without a concave top. It will work (some people tear it up back in the day on flat skates!) but to me concaves just have a better feel and are worth the little bit extra you pay.

It never hurts to ask if their website isn't clear on it.
Christobull
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without having been on one, I would think that the concave deck would be pretty important as far as knowing where your feet are on the board, and probably keeping them there. Thanks for your help. The Oaks are a bit pricey, but I'm going to keep looking around. What about the Gators? They seem to all be concave, plus they're in the price range I would want to be in for a first deck when they are on sale. It's hard to find places that sell the Oak and New decks.
Prizzy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first and only gator deck fell apart after two weeks of use... the plys were splittibg and it literally fell apart and their customer service was no help either. I just had an all around bad time with Gator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeskating All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: