Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Newb Skate Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eric-holmes
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Searcy

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Newb Skate Question Reply with quote

I am looking to try wakeskating out without spending a whole lot of money. I just want to test the waters to see if I might like it. It looks like tons of fun.
My question is; I have an old 142 wakeboard. Can I just take the bindings off, throw on some grip tape and give it a go? What makes a wakeskate different than a wakeboard (besides the obvious)?
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eric-holmes, the shape of a wakeskate is more conducive to doing wakeskate tricks. They are shorter and have a different rocker profile as well as different edges than a wakeboard. Also the concave on the top of a wakeskate can enhance feel... but you don't need a concave board to start out. Many wakeskates have featureless bottoms, or maybe a small channel, while wakeboards often have molded in fins, multiple concaves on the bottom as well as other features that would not be good for skating.

A 142 wakeboard would be like riding a 56 inch wakeskate. Most skates today are from 38-43 inches, so needless to say that would be huge.

You can pick up a used wood concave skate for less than 100$, or a brand new New concave wakeskate for right around 100$ (http://www.newwakeskates.com). Integrity (http://www.integrity-wake.com) makes a flat deck that is a wood core that will outlast any other wood deck for $125.
eric-holmes
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information. Very good. I understand the board would be huge, but could it potentially be used? Just to get the feel of it?
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eric-holmes, yeah it could... that's essentially how wakeskating started, kinda. If you are thinking about doing it to see if you like wakeskating before picking up a board, bear in mind that it's not really going to feel the same. It's going to be more "bindingless wakeboarding" as opposed to "wakeskating".
eric-holmes
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe that will at least give me a feel of whether I like it or not. Im pumped about trying.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get after it! The first real wakeskates were cut-down wakeboards (unless you count the fresh water traction pads on full-size boards at first). I believe the first kickflip was done on a board like this. (Thomas Horrell back in the day, I know there's a picture somewhere in the interwebz)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeskating All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: