Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Weighting a SANTE 220

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Weighting a SANTE 220 Reply with quote

I've got an 07 SANTE 220 that I need some weighting advice on. We ran full ballast in the middle tank and on one side. I then had one guy sitting on the same side on the sundeck. We then had about 4 people around the seating on that same side with the driver on the other side and then two people in the middle of the front of boat. The wake seemed plenty big and the perfect shape, but we never could get enough push out of it to drop the rope. Everytime I dropped it, the momentum would die and I would go right back through the wake.

I generally don't ride with a bunch of people, so how much weight am I needing to put in the back to get a rideable wake?
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand it correctly:

A lot of weight in the rear corner will give you a large steep wave that will give you plenty of push forward, but have a smaller sweet spot. Evening the weight out along the surf side all the way to the front will make the wave smaller but elongate it, creating a larger sweet spot. This can also be tweaked with the speed of the boat. Speeding up will elongate the sweet spot at the expense of the push. So it is a trade off. Personally, when learning I found the larger steeper wave to be easier since my goal was to ride the wave in the same spot without moving around to much. Now that I am comfortable with that, I like to have a longer wave that allows be to move forward and back on.

So could you surf with the rope limp and then loose it when you throw it, or were you always having to rely on the rope? As you shift your weight forward on the board does the nose bury before the board will go forward? I can't help you on the specifics of weighting you boat, but if it looked good it should be surfable.
Red57Bird
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Raleigh

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get on PlanetNautique.com and do a forum search for "220 surf". There are lots of good threads about how others have weighted their 220s for surfing. There are some other things to consider on why you couldn't drop the rope. For me it was about foot placement on the board more than anything, and this varies depending on what board I am riding. When I start on a new board I keep hold on the rope while I shift my feet around.

Some other things to think about are your weight (the more you weigh the bigger the board you will need), water depth (the deeper the better), and boat speed (this, along with ballast and placement is a lot of trial and error). When we first started surfing about 2 years ago we spent a lot of time playing around with weight, boat speed, moving people around, etc. to find out what works the best for our boats. Check out PlanetNautique and start experimenting to find out what works for you. Good luck.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So could you surf with the rope limp and then loose it when you throw it, or were you always having to rely on the rope? As you shift your weight forward on the board does the nose bury before the board will go forward? I can't help you on the specifics of weighting you boat, but if it looked good it should be surfable.

We were always having to rely on the rope. It was almost as if we weren't going fast enough to keep the board up on the water. When you would let go of the rope it was just like letting go with a wakeboard. You would slow down and sink. We varied the speed in between about 9.8 up to 11.3 or so, but never could get going with it. It was a short steep wake, so we may have been behind the sweet spot of the wake.

The board is a 5'6" Hyperlite Broadcast and a couple different guys tried it, one being a lighter guy and one a heavier guy. I need to get the wake set up right with ballast, because I generally don't have many people on the boat. I'll try the Planet Nautique option also.
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 5'6" board should be plenty enough. As far as being behind the sweet spot, when the wave is tall and steep with a narrow sweet spot, the spot is usually pretty close to the boat. Are you using a wakesurfing rope? They are still too long and you have to pull yourself forward to the sweet spot. How far are you from the boat when trying to surf? Is the nose of the board near the swim platform?
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were probably back about 8-10 feet. I'm thinking with the way the boat was weighted that we are going to need to be right off the platform to ride it. From memory that was where the largest section of clean wake was at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: