Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

kicker or slider top surface using fiberglass?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danwake

City: Lake Worth

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: kicker or slider top surface using fiberglass? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried making their own slider or kicker top surface using epoxy and fiberglass? If one knew how to work with fiberglass I think this would be an inexpensive alternative to Polyethylene plastics, Trex, etc. I'm making a kicker, 4' wide x 8' long. Here's my plan:

- buy a 4' x 8' sheet of smooth tileboard, 1 or 2 gallons of resin, and fiberglass mat.
- apply mold release to the tileboard, then just lay up the glass and resin.

when you're done you should end up with a smooth, durable, bendable, 1/16" thick sheet that can be used on a slider or kicker. Looks like the epoxy is $30 a gallon, and the glass mat is around $11 for 4' x 9' , so it would be pretty inexpensive if you compare the area it would cover.

The only thing I'm not sure of is what type of resin would be best.

comments anyone?
danwake

City: Lake Worth

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to clarify, the tileboard is just used to get a smooth surface and wouldn't be part of the ramp. I plan to peel the fiberglass off the tileboard and glue it smooth side up, to the ramp.
iluvplastic

City: wasaga beach

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in the day this was done a lot, but ya need a water pump to run water down the surface or its sticky. good luck
Christobull
Addict
Addict

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of old, but I just wanted to point out that the fiber would not be needed, just resin. That's referred to as glassing, and you could glass the wood directly, it smooths out very well. But, yes, you need to wet it before you hit it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: