Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

HD TV Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: HD TV Help Reply with quote

I'm looking at 3 Samsung HD Flat-Panel 46" TV's but am not what you would call a technology guru. These are the 3 I'm looking at:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9234492&type=product&id=1218064392605

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9293506&type=product&id=1218076081627

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9230744&type=product&id=1218063831168

The prices are $1099, $1499, and $1599, respectively. Price isn't that big of an issue, but I hate spending money on things that are extraneous.

As far as what I'll be using it for, I don't plan on splurging on premium or HD channels in the near future (except maybe fueltv), so just standard channels, movies, and video games.

I'm not a big gamer, but I will be buying a PS3 to play blurays and the occasional game.

The cheapest one is only 60 Hz (the others are 120); is 120 worth $400?

The only difference I see between the $1499 and $1599 one is that the latter has a complete Multimedia Suite and Internet TV...but I have no idea what that means Laughing Will I be able to watch more channels over the internet?

Are the super expensive HDMI cables really necessary or will the generic ones work just as well? If not, what are good places to buy the nice ones? I can't bring myself to spend $140 for a cable at Best Buy.

Lastly, why are plasma TV's priced so much less, relatively speaking, when they try to sell them as having a better picture than LCD's?

Thanks guys.

logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Jackson, CA

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 650 series from Samsung is a bitchin tv. At 1599 it's an excellent deal trust me, I've looked at them and at the Samsung 950 series, I like the 650 better.

open to any other brands than Samsung? I have a Sony Bravia W series LCD and I love it, absolutely incredible picture that rivals the Sammy 650 for less money and has the Bravia sync capability.

120 Hz LCD is very worth it and will be noticeably worth it when watching faster paced media.

HDMI CABLES ARE ALL THE SAME DO NOT BUY EXPENSIVE ONES. Get the cables from monoprice.com, I promise you won't be disappointed.

that is scary, i woke up with a boner and had to make sure ontrider wasn't standing around with a chainsaw...
Craig-R
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: HD TV Help Reply with quote

JV wrote:
Are the super expensive HDMI cables really necessary or will the generic ones work just as well? If not, what are good places to buy the nice ones? I can't bring myself to spend $140 for a cable at Best Buy.

you can get an HDMI cable off ebay for $10
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can get them from monoprice.com for less than 5! Laughing

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logan wrote:

open to any other brands than Samsung? I have a Sony Bravia W series LCD and I love it, absolutely incredible picture that rivals the Sammy 650 for less money and has the Bravia sync capability.

Definitely. Just thinking Samsung for reputation. But they're all good. going to Best Buy today to stare at the wall and nit pick until my eyes bleed.

logan
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Jackson, CA

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whichever tv you buy, couple it with a blu ray player or ps3. trust me, there is a disc called Digital Video Essentials HD basics it will take you through calibrating your new tv, awesome and it helped my tv tremendously.

that is scary, i woke up with a boner and had to make sure ontrider wasn't standing around with a chainsaw...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: