Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

When do feet come out of bindings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xjsnxillusion

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: When do feet come out of bindings Reply with quote

I'm really new to wakeboarding, and i'm waiting on my board to come in from my order, but i had a question...

I've seen tons of vids of people falling on wakeboards, but i can't ever tell if they are coming loose from their bindings.

I could see alot of examples or possibilites where you land maybe sideways and your body goes one way, but your board tries to stay afloat after the landing and cranks your ankle.. i mean, its got to happen with so many chances to fall..

is it something like depending on how hard you hit the water whether your feet come out or not, or should you use some kind of lube to make it easier to come out w/out coming out on normal riding.. Just trying to understand how you dont rock your ankles whenever you take a hard fall and you go one way, but the board goes another..
Josh 154
Criminal
Criminal

City: Wall Lake

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You generally don't want your feet to come out of your bindings. Because if you take a hard crash, your feet could come out of your bindings and the board could hit your head causing it to knock you out or cut ur head open. ( Just what i have read on the message board)

I wear a 10.5 shoe and have bindings size 10-11. They are a little tough getting into but i have never came out of them untill today. I over rotated a 180 and landed on edge in the flats. It was the hardest crash i have had yet and my left foot came out of the binding but my right foot stayed in.

I've had some pretty good spills where i go one way, and the board goes the other. It doesn't hurt my ankles or anything.

Last edited by Josh 154 on Jun 22, 2009 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig-R
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

generally you want both feet to stay in. if only one foot comes out that's when you get knee and ankle injuries so if you can keep both feet in then it's better (except for the fact that you get worse faceplants that way), in any case you either want both to stay in or both to come out
kyle b.word

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend tore his ACL over rotating when he landed. He stopped boarding for good, kinda blows cause he just started.
Chad H
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't come out of my board in a crash all year. I ride 3-4 times a week and normally take at least one hard fall each day.
dr.fowler
Criminal
Criminal

City: Riverton

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I perssonally have a friend who got a fractured skull and a bajillion stitches and half of his head shaved when he was riding in someone else's bindings that were too big. He came out after over rotating a 3, and the board tumbled across the water as he came up. The people who were there said it was pretty gruesome. I just saw the aftermath and it made me decide to ride in tight bindings that won't come off. I have take some pretty good spills and haven't ever come out. I'm riding in a set of LF Transits right now, and when they're on, I can tell they're never coming off.
shaggyboarder
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: ft. laud.... hook me up with a pull

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear my bindings as tight as possible, Id rather eat it and keep my board on than go through the hassle of loosening my bindings putting them back on and so on holding up people in the boat etc.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been blasted out of both of mine once, broke my board, and both lower laces, my right lace was completely gone, hardware and all. It was a weird crash, all that and I didn't suffer any kind of injury at all except a rash on my left foot from being ripped out of the binding. I've had minor crashes that hurt a lot more, did a slide out to ball slapper over the weekend, that one HURT lol.
b33nine
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Salem-ish

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a theory that my last face-plant that fractured my orbital was because I didn't eject from the bindings actually. It honestly wasn't any different from any other face plants I've taken over the years but I didn't eject from the bindings when the front edge caught, which I think accelerated my momentum towards the water more than usual.

Of course, if nobody would have asked me stupid questions like "where are we," and "what's my name" I'm not sure I would have realized it was as bad as it was. I also would have never guessed I had actually broken something if I didn't go to the ER that night. Knowing all those things makes it much worse and leads me to speculate about things that I need to change haha.

I love how comfy and cozy the new bindings are, but I think on certain crashes you should probably be ejected from the board.
b33nine
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what's all this talk about one foot in/one foot out being bad? My first tantrum I ever landed was 1 footed Laughing

What's worse is when you've got open-toed boots and you put your foot all the way through the toe opening... now that's painful.
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b33nine,
one foot in and one out can cause a LOT of damage. Think ankle breaking.. knee ligaments torn.. etc. It's just a terrible idea. I'd keep those laces tight.
xjsnxillusion

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but i mean, is there ever supposed to be a time where you ARE supposed to eject from the board? like in case of a really nasty fall
b33nine
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad H, sorry bro, I guess sarcasm doesn't travel across the tubes Very Happy

I would never want the one in/one out scenario to occur on purpose. I'd say it's ideal to either stay both feet in or have both feet come out. I'm going to stick by my assessment that sometimes I'd rather come out than stay in. have NEVER had a board come back to hit me in the head, not even a wakeskate or wakesurf board, but I do, by habit, put my hands in front of my face as I surface if I have lost the board on a crash.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjsnxillusion wrote:
but i mean, is there ever supposed to be a time where you ARE supposed to eject from the board? like in case of a really nasty fall

Not sure what you are asking here, it's not really a choice to have the board come off, it just happens when it happens.

ronix_brendo
Criminal
Criminal

City: Goulburn, Australia

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke my ankle on a tanny 2 b at the end of our season here in aus. I thout it was the board going one way body going the other way scenario but now wen I look back I think it was more the impact because I had huge pop and landed ver crouched and back foot heavy. anyway I still believe u shuld keep them tight. better have a minor ankle injury rather then a broken ankle and torn knee ligaments from a one in one out scenario Shocked
suburban

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just judging from the next closest sport- snowboarding- I'd say your feet are never supposed to come out. Only time I've really hurt myself is when I had an ejection- fractured both ankles, and the board knocked a front tooth in half. Faceplants hurt, don't get me wrong, but the sting goes away in minutes. Broken ankles don't. One foot out would definitely be the worst- evey time I've seen that happen to a snowboarder, it's been a tibia/fibia break.

The way I see it, the boots serve as protection for your feet, keeping them from twisting strange and painful directions. As long as they're on, you're pretty safe.
kent2010
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Needles

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bindings are supposed to release when you wreck hard. it says right on them that if the bindings arent fitted properly they may not release causing injury. but i would rather just stay in them that way i dont have to put them back on, but if i wreck hard enough to come out, im usually not gonna want to ride anymore.
xjsnxillusion

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah okay, thats what I wondered about
wakeup the 512

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i riped a whole boot of my board last week
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: