Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Wakeboarding for $10,000...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Wakeboarding for $10,000... Reply with quote

well when i got back into this sport i guess a couple of years ago, i kinda set a goal for myself that i wanted to have a killer budget setup and only spend 10k. thats a pretty big loan, but figured with what folks were spending on boats these days id still be way ahead. the problem was i didnt own a boat or a truck..... so i would have to buy both.

step 1: a boat.

dads fish and ski tri hull hurricane outboard wasnt going to cut it. a year and half ago with the help of wakeboarders.com budget boat article i found that the SN2001 boats where throwing killer wakes and with the right price. a craigslist search found me several and one located in austin (75 miles) it was a 82 Ski Nautique 2001. was a ski school boat with rear seat delete.
it had
new interior
new short block
4 blade prop
monster tower and rack
two fat sacks and pump
and enough maintence parts for proply 3 seasons

i went and looked at it and test drove it on a wensday. it was just what i was looking for. he was asking $5,000, i came back that saturday with the loan and brought it home, my first boat!

well jump ahead now to two weeks ago.
well i enjoyed the hell out of it for a season and a half, no problems, ran strong and reliable. VERY happy. i was borrowing dads truck, and bumming freinds to drag me to the lake, and was getting tired of that. one HOT texas day it was calm as hell and i had no way to get the boat to the lake. frustrated i set out determained to come home with something! i litterally covered most of the state that day lol. looking at lots of different models. just angry i wasnt out there on that glass.
i had kind of narrowed it down it a jeep grand cherokee. it had everything i wanted. suv to carry freinds and gear, short WB, auto, 4wd, a hitch, and the best power to weight i could find in an SUV.
looked at probly 15 that day. all were asking 6200-7200 and were all beat up, wrecked, rusted, high milage etc etc. after driving from dawn till well after dark, i came home empty handed and frustrated. no real possibilities.
well the following day, monday, at work i jump on autotrader again and bam, a new listing, theres a guy 7 miles from me with one for sale, with all the options i want, in WAY better shape, low miles, and only asking $5,500 Shocked
so i call emidiatly, and set up a meeting, and go look at it on my lunch break in a toys r us parking lot. i get there and look at it for 5 minutes, its perfect. way better than ALL the others, with way less miles, MUCH better condition and better options. i asking him what he wants for it, he offers it to me for 5k. i say ill take it and was gone in less than 8 minutes lol..
rush to the bank, get the loan processed, and that night bought it and brought it home.

2000 grand cherokee
leather
power sun roof
electronics
tow package
80,000 miles
clean straight body
custom stereo (sony, kicker, Kenwood, Infinity gold)

i had completed my goal of a killer wake setup, boat and truck for 10k. i havent run into any problems with the boat or jeep, been super pleased and enjoying the hell out of them. weve been riding 3 times a week for 4-6 hours a day and just super stoked.
odd story i know, ive just been so amped i had to share it with somebody Laughing

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS on Jun 19, 2009 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bad assed, you stole that jeep for 5k man, very very nice ride. Just a word of advice, be very diligent about transmission maintenance, ie: changing fluid and filter regularly, and you may want to add a trans cooler if it doesn't have one. Chrysler trans are notoriously junk. At least in the trucks, pretty sure the Jeep G.C has the same trans as my Dakota (replaced at just over 100k) Still have always liked the G.C. sharp looking ride. Cool
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!
and thanks for the tip. all ive ever owned is camaros so i dont know jack about these jeeps, i did find out they stoped putting factory tranny coolers in 98 Sad and that this is a 5 speed auto. there is a small cooler in the grill for something just a little 6" with a single 180 bend over on the drivers side of the grill, its tiny. i dont know if its a oil cooler or maybe an optional tranny cooler that comes with the tow package. its tiny though.

Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on that one, I put a big one on my Dakota for less then 100bucks. found this for ya http://www.ilovejeeps.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69602 parts list and instructions Very Happy
get_sum
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a killer truck/boat combo for $10k... Real nice.. and I'll reiterate it.. you STOLE that grand cherokee...

I miss my SS... hell I also miss my Z06.. kids will do that to ya... (I even miss my wife's 99' Cobra..and I'm a Chevy guy)...

Oh I also miss my Lightning... Only Ford product.. I really liked..

JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get_sum, Nice rides man, love the Vette looks like you got sum...errrr....had sum I guess Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great setup for a great price. Impressive. Can't believe you got that JGC for $5k, thing looks mint.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Nice find on the Jeep. Eveyone is right...you stole that for sure!
crashhappy
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Acworth

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey......There is hope for my poor ass Smile I really like your set up...The boat is beautiful. I wish my wife didn't demand a open bow cuz I really like those boats. Riding 3 days a week would be nice...I might progress past my butterslides and face plants Rolling Eyes

{The Black Pearl}
shaggyboarder
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: ft. laud.... hook me up with a pull

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you came across some sweet deals.
Jason99T/A

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pickup!!
boutwell_43

City: Pensacola

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking setup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: