Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Wanting to wakeskate Newb question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psyre

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Wanting to wakeskate Newb question. Reply with quote

I snowboard and my girlfriend wakeboards. we are both branching out into each other's sports. However I don't have a huge interested in wakeboarding. Is it necessary to begin with wakeboarding and progress to wakeskating or can i just start out wakeskating. I feel liek I would be wasting the money on a wakeboard if what I really want to be doing is wakeskating. Thanks
Steven M
Criminal
Criminal

City: Merced

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyre, you do NOT have to have a wakeboard background to wakeskate. Their are quite a few of highly talented riders who started out just wakeskating coming from a skateboard background.
deepcove
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Vancouver

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also talented riders who do not come from a skateboarding back ground. You do not need to wakeboard first although it may help you to get the feel of getting pulled up.
m_lesney
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I was a long time skateboarder and a couple seasons wakeboarding I just went to wakeskating even if its a borrowed or demo board IMO it helps with getting up and getting a feel of the rope if you wakeboard a little first
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this section sure moves slow. Laughing

I say do it all. I love to wakeboard. I love to wakeskate. I love to snowboard. Don't discriminate. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Seriously though, I started out wakeboarding but once I started skating it really helped improve control (edging) on my wakeboard.

I probably skate 75% of the time these days. My tricklist isn't very impressive but I have the most fun riding unstrapped lately.

Like I said, don't discriminate. Very Happy

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
turbohoje
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: thornton

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have about 1/3 of a season of wakeboarding under by belt, i was thinking of expanding my repertoire to a wakeskate. there are a few on ebay for $60 shipped and its kindof temping.

for a begginer board, what should i get. i see there are tape and foam tops. i gather the foam is for feet and the tape is for shoes. again, my guess, is the shoes are for people to take it a little more seriously. can i get by with a foam top or should it be clean and you put your own stuff down.

i was thinking it might be a fun thing to add to the boat that is inexpensive and would make for some funny crashes when you drop your board trying to w2w.

i
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gatorskater

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about preference, I will tell you thought that foam or grip, most people wear shoes either way. Also you might want to spend a little more on ebay to get a board with a decent concave because it will give you a way better feel for the board, I learned to ride on a flat, but concaves feel so much better. You might like something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2008-HYPERLITE-CATALYST-107-WAKESKATE-WAKEBOARD_W0QQitemZ130299900495QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item130299900495&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I learned alot on this shape back when it first came out and it will hold up better than a wood concave.
turbohoje
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: thornton

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input. thats still not all that expensive of a board, and if you say it will last longer/be more fun then i'm all about it.

how do you get up on these, just like a wakebaord with one hand holding the board to your feet?

will and old pair of tennies suffice for shoes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ejazzle
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Tequesta

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you get up just like a wakeboard.

any kind of shoes will do. Don't go waste your money on brand new shoes either.

integrity has some sick new decks coming out. and they are for a reasonable price too.

http://www.integrity-wake.com/store/index.html

check out the Dada
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeskating All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: