Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Story behind the Duck Fart

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonlady8
Black Widow
Black Widow

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Story behind the Duck Fart Reply with quote

http://dwb.adn.com/news/alaska/story/7321378p-7233339c.html

Quote:
Tracking Alaska's Duck Fart -- a drink layered in history

(Published: December 30, 2005)
In honor of New Year's Eve, we raise a toast to the quintessential Alaska drink, the Duck Fart.

Quintessentially Alaskan because it was invented here. Quintessentially Alaskan because it's got an animal in its name. Quintessentially Alaskan because that less-than-genteel name weeds out the delicate.

A layered drink made of Kahlua, Bailey's Irish cream and Crown Royal (in that order, and ideally with just a float of Crown), the Duck Fart is to Alaska what the Mai-Tai is to Hawaii and the Margarita is to Mexico.

In true Alaska tradition, our drink is the biggest, in that it packs a Denali-sized punch. That's why it comes in a sturdy shot glass instead of the frou-frou stemware those others drinks come in. An ounce of our most famous drink is all you need. (But might not be all you want.)

The Duck Fart was invented 18 years ago this month at the Peanut Farm, although manager Terri Ditty, who's worked at the bar for 10 years, said no one is still around from the heady days when the Peanut Farm was tiny and its bartenders inspired. Its creator, Dave Schmidt, reportedly moved to Oregon several years ago.

Schmidt recalled his brainstorm in a Daily News story in 1991. He was tending an empty bar on a snowy, mid-week night in December 1987 when a woman who looked to be in her 70s walked in and ordered a shot of tequila. Then a B-52. Then a Grasshopper. Pretty soon Schmidt and the woman were experimenting with variations on old themes. At one point Schmidt poured a shot of Kahlua into a glass, then added a shot of Bailey's.

"Pour in a little Crown Royal on top,'' said the woman, whose identity remains unknown.

Schmidt complied, and the woman slammed the drink.

"And then she let out a big 'Bllllpppppp! with her mouth,'' Schmidt said.

Schmidt said he couldn't remember why he and the woman decided to call it a Duck Fart, although maybe her audible reaction had something to do with it. Or maybe it was inspired by the rubber duck beak Schmidt found that night behind the bar and wore while mixing drinks for his lone customer. Or maybe it was inspired by Schmidt's Oregon roots, a theory that presumes he was a University of Oregon fan. Shudder to think of the results had he been an Oregon State fan.

Brien Cole, a sales and marketing manager for K&L Distributors, was a supplier for the Peanut Farm at the time and said Schmidt's invention took off like, well, a shot.

At one point, K&L ordered 6,000 of those little blue velvet Crown Royal bags, silk-screened the words "Alaska Duck Fart'' on one side and filled them with airline-sized bottles of the three ingredients. They sold for about $5 and were wildly popular, especially with tourists. Cole said.

Cole and Paul Taylor, who sells Crown Royal and Bailey's for Alaska Distributors, say the Duck Fart is the only made-in-Alaska drink they know of that's made it big.

"There's nothing that has the legs of the Duck Fart,'' Taylor said.

Early fans helped spread the word. A friend and I traveled to Bozeman, Mont., to celebrate my birthday in March 1988 -- a mere four months after Schmidt's inspiration -- and by the time we left, a bar called the Korner Klub had put up a sign advertising "Ducque Phartes'' for $3.50. The owner figured a French-sounding name would be more palatable to customers. This in a bar that serves screwdrivers by the pitcher.

Today, you can find dozens of online references to the Duck Fart, including recipes for the original drink as well as one for "Duck Fart No. 2,'' a scandalous version that puts the Crown Royal on the bottom and the Bailey's on the top.

The Red Dog Saloon in Juneau offers Duck Fart T-shirts and shot glasses for sale online, but when I tried calling to ask about them, I twice got trapped in the bar's voice-mail system and gave up. What self-respecting bar has a voice-mail system anyway?

With almost 20 years of history, the Duck Fart remains a bar staple in Anchorage. Ditty estimates the Peanut Farm sells about 50 on a weekend night, at $5.50 a pop, although these days martini-style cocktails and Jagermeister shots have surpassed the Duck Fart in popularity, Taylor said.

But an unsettling trend is setting in. Some people, mostly women, are starting to ask for martini versions of Duck Farts -- chilled, shaken and poured into frou-frou glasses. So as you prepare to ring in the New Year, we ask you to do so responsibly. Don't drink and drive, and order your Duck Fart layered, not stirred.

duckfart290.20090325184846.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  19.61 KB
 Viewed:  34030 Time(s)

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool. I'm going to have to give that a try.

Funny to order too. Laughing

ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting story. I see you're catching up on your 2005 Anchorage news.
Dragonlady8
Black Widow
Black Widow

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just researching the drink origin and this was most recent story that came up.

I just recently subscribe to an online food site called Chow and that's where I got the recipe on the drink.

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crown Royal = Mothers milk

I'll try the duck fart at lunch

key
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: AIKEN S.C.

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going to give it a go myself when i get back to the states. im counting the days until april 9th. get to see my son and put some crown royal down my throat!!!!! they dont have crown here in south brazil. i buy duty free crown but it doesnt last long.........................ok now im done...............
Rocko
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Omaha

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck Farts are very popular shots at the bar I frequent. They are even better when dipping Milano cookies in them. Delicious.
Tbonez
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: ATL

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocko wrote:
Duck Farts are very popular shots at the bar I frequent. They are even better when dipping Milano cookies in them. Delicious.

They have cookies at your pub?

Rocko
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Omaha

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbonez wrote:
Rocko wrote:

They have cookies at your pub?

No, a bunch are there so much we bring in snacks and other alcohol (sometimes) that the bar doesn't stock. We could get away with murder there, a bunch of the regulars are cops. Cool
Wired
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love duck farts. They rock!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: