Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Flushing an inboard motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.unio.R
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: E-City, NC

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Flushing an inboard motor Reply with quote

My boat has always been in fresh water but we have moved to an area where the water is brackish. What is the best way to flush the motor? I have seen fake-a-lake and the Perko inboard flush kit, what is the best? Thanks.
the_dude
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Long Beach

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fake a lake is cheaper and quicker to use out of the box.

By perko I assume you mean flush-pro? I decided to go with this for peace of mind. I jump in and out of the boat when flushing and didn't want to risk the fake a lake slipping off. I also think it's easier to use since I don't have to crawl under the boat/trailer to set it up.
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dad just undoes the raw intake hose by the trans. made some PVC adapter to hold a garden hose on one end and fit the on the other.

all you do is screw it on and turn on the water, no crawling under the boat or anything.

8122pbrainard
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Northfield

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.unio.R,
If you will be flushing your boat frequently then the only way to go is with the Perko Flush Pro. Do the remote garden hose hook up install with the through hull hose connection on the transom. No unscrewing this and turning this valve on and another off! With it, you don't even need to open the engine hatch!

Don't screw around with home made attempts with PVC pipe, valves and check valves. I've seen a few of these and always hear about someone forgetting to position there valves correctly. It's like your bilge plug - there are those people who have forgotten to put it in and then there are those who just haven't forgotten yet!! With the Flush Pro, it's all automatic!

The other issue with a home made is undersizing valving and then having cooling problems. There are ball valves and then there are standard port and full port - you just can't go by the pipe size!!

bjackson
Criminal
Criminal

City: Connecticut

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 8122pbrainard, I've got a flush pro installed on my boat now and I'm about to put a stainless garden hose fitting on my transom. Then I'll connect some hose out of the flush pro to the transom fitting and that'll keep me from going into my engine compartment everytime I want to flush it.
deepcove
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Vancouver

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Perko Flush Pro.....it works great, it's kinda nice that you don't have to crawl under the boat to use fake a lake. Also because I ride in salt I can flush while moored.
J.unio.R
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I im on brackish so I will flush it after every use. I saw the connection on the transom last week at the dealers. It looked nice and like 8122pbrainard said I wont have to get into the engine compartment everytime. Is that a hard install and do you need the flush-pro along with the transom insert?

Thanks.

bjackson
Criminal
Criminal

City: Connecticut

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say it's a hard install at all, a lot of people are hesistant when drilling into gelcoat and that might make it a hard install for a lot of people.

First off take a look at some of these tips if your going to be drilling/cutting into your gelcoat: http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/upkeep/fiberglass.asp

I read it real quick and if they don't talk about it enough here is what I have to add. Lay masking tape down on the gelcoat where you will be drilling/cutting, use the transom insert as a template and mark the holes. You'll probably use a hole saw for the insert and start off by drilling into the gelcoat with the drill in reverse, applying some pressure will still allow it to cut into the gelcoat but because the drill is in reverse the teeth of the bit will not dig in and rip the gelcoat apart. The bit moving in the opposite direction of what it's intended for will allow you to etch the gelcoat and with some pressure you'll be able to drill all the way through the gelcoat/hull in reverse. Do the saw thing if you are using drill bits, drill with the bits in the reverse direction then what they are intended for. That should give you some nice clean cut holes.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/16777/377%20710%201508/0/Valves,%20Deck%20Fills,%20Misc./Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201508&Ne=0&Ntt=Valves,%20Deck%20Fills,%20Misc.&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=11&subdeptNum=70&classNum=71

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/81041/377%20710/0/flush-pro/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=flush-pro&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=flush-pro&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=169&classNum=202

If your going to do it right you might as well use the flush-pro along with the transom insert. The transom insert is the cheapest part of the project. You'll be left with a nice clean/easy flush system.
m_lesney
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Austin

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perko is the way to go easy use!
J.unio.R
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjackson Thanks for the all the info. I will put the Flush Pro in before the season starts here and the transom insert next winter. I made the mistake of trying to make my own flush system and the pressure of the water blew it right off the water intake. Waste of time!
deepcove
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see what the purpose is for the transom mount, you don't need it. You simply open up your engine hatch and hook up a garden hose. That way you dont have to worry about drilling or having some ugly connection on the exterior of your boat.
8122pbrainard
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deepcove wrote:
I do not see what the purpose is for the transom mount, you don't need it. You simply open up your engine hatch and hook up a garden hose. That way you dont have to worry about drilling or having some ugly connection on the exterior of your boat.

Many don't feel the transom fitting is that ugly. It also doesn't require you to drag the dirty hose over the gunnel possibly scratching the gel. The transom mount is a factory option with most boat manufacturers.

deepcove
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dirty hose here, I have a white RV hose as part of my "Boat Cleaning Kit". Also there is an advantage to opening up the motor after every use; it enables it to cool down quicker and you get a visual to anything that may possibly need attention.
8122pbrainard
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deep,
I'm glad to hear you have the good hose. Some don't.
I'm curious - do you feel there's a need to cool down the engine quickly?

J.unio.R
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flush pro came in the mail and was wondering do I install it so it flushes the transmission then heads to impellar or do I skip the transmission and just cut the hose heading to the impellar? I have a Mercruiser 350 MPI tow sports edition.
8122pbrainard
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd install it so it flushes the oil cooler too. The cooler is made of copper and it sure wouldn't hurt to get the brackish water out of it ether.
deepcove
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm curious - do you feel there's a need to cool down the engine quickly?

Is there a need...probably not. But I think engines have cooling sytems in them for a reason and I find it interesting that an engine in a DD or VD is still very warm 5 hours after it was running due to being locked up in a compartment with minimal breathing. I think ongoing heat is harder on things and in the long run will excelerate deterioration weather it be hoses or other various components.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: