Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

I can't figure it out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonsaitree
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: I can't figure it out Reply with quote

I just picked up a skate to take out whenever I don't feeling like strapping in. Took it out on friday and tried all day to get up on the damn thing. I tried everything I could think of and just couldn't seem to get the damn board out of the water. At one point I tossed the skate back in the boat and strapped on the wakeboard and popped right up no problems. I do recall going over the front (toeside) of the board a lot but couldn't figure out why. Obviously it means I'm getting my COG too high and the boat is pulling me over, but the board also seemed to want to submarine or go down into the water a whole lot more than my wakeboard. I did get up once by turning the board while it was still underwater and pushing hard with my front foot and holding on until the boat pulled the board out of the water, but that was considerably harder than any wakeboard start I've had.

To make the whole order even more frustrating, my 3 buddies all managed to get up on the board easily. And one of them was wakeboarding/skating for his first time ever! All of them weigh 180 or less and I tip the scales at 225. I bought a faction 44" because I really don't care much about performance right now but wanted the biggest size I could get since I'm such a big guy. If anyone can give input from an outside perspective I'd appreciate it. I've read all the "how to"s that I can find but they didn't really suggest anything I haven't already thought of/tried.
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I have to be a lot more patient with the skate. With wakeboards, I think you get in the habbit of forcing it up and out of the water because you can. With the skate you really have to wait for it to plain out on its own.

Also, I liked to be pulled up really fast on a skate. If you get pulled up slow, you have to fight it more which is difficult because you aren't strapped in. Try dropping the hammer.

I suck at skating so take this for what its worth.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you start by laying on your back or standing up? I always had trouble keeping the board under my feet. I found that if you have the driver slowly start to idle away and hold the board there until the pressure keeps it there. From then it was just like strappin. Just remember to keep your ass in the water.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
br

City: tallahassee, valdosta

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. keep feet wide on the board
2. when the rope goes tight let the boat keep idling so the board will stay to you feet
3. stay leaning back until your board is completely outa the water.
4. try and have your weight about 60 back 40 front
5 always keep your knees bent

*def ride slower than a wakeboard, around 20 mph or a little fater untill you get used to the lose feeling
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know what to tell you, because I had no problem getting up my first time, it was just like getting up on a wakeboard to me.

Only thing I can think of is do what wakeboarderdave1 said. with you feet on the board in the place you want them had the driver VERY slowly start to go forwards and the board will just stick to your feet, and like he said its just like strapping from there.
benjaminp
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats your start technique, is the board under you, or is it flat on the water in front of you with your heels on it?
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realize this thread along with the other one you brought back up are old right?
benjaminp
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get bored with new posts. Guy might still want the help though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeskating All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: