Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

played out ? ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schmaltz
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: SD

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: played out ? ... Reply with quote

what in your opinion is played out in wakeskating ? ... if anything yet...
we all know wakeboarding industry has been beating the same horse for quite a while now... but is there anything wakeskaters can do to prevent the same rout wakeboarding has fallen into... i personaly feel wakeskaters just have a different mind set then the average wakeboarder... be it more dedication/love/skill, but i don't know if that will be enough to keep the sport where it needs to be in the grand scheme of things...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: rowlet, tx.

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just think that the wakeskaters are haveing mroe fun at it than most wakeboarders right now cause you dont have to have the most money so u can have the best equpiment, or the best boat. I think the wakeskaters may look at somethings differently to.
jibn-it-all
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: apopka

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we just need more people, and we will get them, its blowing up hear in fl, i mean last saturday there was just as many wakeskaters if not more, then wakeboarders at owc,. also people who are intimidated form wakeboarding and want something softer always turn to wakeskating. we need more contests to , like down at the projects, like one a month. or at owc one a month, cable and jetski, and boat.we need more films= it would kill to see a mutiny that be tight lol. and we need time to grow and over take

CASSETTE : surviving the corse of timeand teknology
butter: so smooth, bi-level mofo
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that us skaters are also more about makin it look goos thatn anything else.
jibn-it-all
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, theres just somethin in wakeskstn that causes a trik to be more satifying and hard earned and then we dont use the trik till we are consistent and by that time we got mad style!

shmaltz how much are the endurance series gona cost?

Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

shmaltz how much are the endurance series gona cost?

????????

yea i agree we jsut sit there and try and fall, get back up try and fall, try and fall, etc..... and we fall way more than the wakeboarders so by the time we fianlly get that trick its just so....... undescribable.

Josh R
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way wakeskating is more affordable, which opens up the sport to so many different styles. We have skaters who just start wakeskating only and bring that street skate style to the sport (I remember Zero saying he'd never wakeboarded before). It's good to have a change from only having a skiboarding/wakeboarding influence on the sport.

It'll still have some fads, but hopefully they'll be nothing compared to wakeboarding - Wakeboarding pants... I mean, c'mon...

You're right about the different mindset too, Erich. It's not all about trying to get lots of air, or do the latest flippy, spinny thing. Wakeskaters seem to appreciate how technical and difficult some of the things, even the small 'simple' things, been done on a skate now are, where-as a lot of other people who aren't familiar with it, or just don't appreciate it wouldn't even bat an eyelid.

I think maybe let the sport grow for another year or so, and then actively try and separate it from wakeboarding. Let it really distinguish itself from the wakeboard industry.

But hey, thats just me.. Wink

Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think maybe let the sport grow for another year or so, and then actively try and separate it from wakeboarding. Let it really distinguish itself from the wakeboard industry.

i think that its allready happening we got our own competion going on were starting to get our own videos, and the with cassette going to linear distrabution and all were starting to get wakeskate companys owned and distrubeted by wakeskaters. So i say that in a year we will allready be away from wakeboarding and want to be distinguished as our own sport.

electricsnow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: anytown, usa

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I don't see wakeskating falling into the same rut that wakeboarding has (but perhaps I am being short sighted and maybe even narrow minded in that respect). I think one reason wakeskating is in good hands is that it grew UP in the right hands. You have people like yourself (schmaltz), josh smith, the byerlys, and thomas (among many others). All of you had the right mind set and some (if not all) came from a skate back ground and you all know how to grab.

I feel like right now, a lot of skater kids are really going to push wakeskating because that is what they relate to. Let's face it, wakeboarders don't always get it. Some use a wakeskate as much or more than a wakeboard, and some use it for "something to do" after they're done wakeboarding. Granted, it is you choice what you want to do with it, but I don't think they see or even care about the grand scheme of things.

Another good thing is that wakeskating can be very affordable because decks can start at 100.00 and one could ride behind a seadoo. I think this will keep it from being elitist and all conservative geezer "i don't like what you're doing with your ads" or whatever (board graphics, videos, etc). You know? It's like, a 35+ male or female isn't going to respond to a mutiny ad, you know?

Also, at least two of the three big, core wakeskate companies are rider owned (which to me is a huge plus...and almost a must for the future). I just feel like that is a really good start because there is more potential for the wakeskaters to control their own destiny (direction of the activity, market, comps, etc). Like right now, there are one or two rider owned wakeboard companies out of how many? Plus, wakeboarding is quite a bit older from a commercial standpoint. Anyway, I just think that is a good sign and a great start.

And to build off of the three companies I was referring to (cassette, kampus, and mutiny) they all have their own unique technology that makes each company special. It's good to see free thinkers and hopefully, people can respect that.

I also want to add that the cassette vids and the butter book are excellent things that promote wakeskating. They are both laid out in artistic fashion, which branches off of the idea that wakeskating is an artform. And not to mention the fact that wakeboarding doesn't have anything cool like the butter book.

Lastly, I don't want to start a whole different conversation about coaching, but I think that most wakeskaters are out there just trying to learn their tricks either alone or with their friends, as opposed to paying mike ferraro 200.00 an hour for help on something. I just think they have a greater appreciation for learing a trick by trial and error and through the creative process. I'm not going to go into that anymore because I don't have the energy, but if you really want to know, look for an old coaching thread.

Anyway, this was a very insightful topic.

Schmaltz
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: SD

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... what do you think about this... huge advertising budget + a large over paid team = $ out of your pocket... wouldn't you rather have a company you respect spend that money on new innovations (not some gimmic) but a vaible new product, be it materials and or design... have a modest ad budget...put together a small solid team to help progress the sport (like Cassette) and in the end save you some extra cash on top of it all... look at whats out there in the wakeboard industry high priced boards and binding (mostly fashion and no function)... you pay extra $ for idol worship and non functioning shapes... seriously those compression molded boards are ancient tech, it cost about $45 or less to make one of those "high end wakeboards... it's a numbers game for them with little regard for the sport or you... what do you think Question !!! thats what i love about Wakeskating the audience is core and their love for the sport keeps it real... atleast for a little while...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
B-rad
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to skate because it's simple. There isn't the hassle with getting the best of this or the best of that. I grab a pair of old skate shoes, my board and I'm set. I can have a chit load of fun buttersliding on the nose or the tail, doing surface tricks, and trying all kinds of variations of things. I've spent a total of $100 so far on a board and that's it. It has lasted through last summer and still kicking.
I look for a board that is made well and that I think is going to be functional to me. I'm more into to sliding and tech so I could care less about w2w. I like grip tape and I like a board simple without a lot of gimmicks.

Caretaker of the offical AGB beer mug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
el
Criminal
Criminal

City: eugenius

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that wakeskating hasn't had to deal with (yet) is all the molded fin, multiple fin, cupped rail, DNA ultra core junk that wakeboarding does. Every time I look in a Wakeboarding mag theres always some innovative new board/tower/handle that you just can't ride without. It's crap.

In wakeskating, it's nice that there isn't a new "groundbreaking innovation" every season that costs another couple hundered bucks, I hope the most expensive a top-end wakeskate ever gets is $250, at the very most (besides hyperlite, I don't care what they do).

foammesh
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anything is played out in wakeskating yet, exept for the boards not lasting very long(expecialy the 3Ds). It is still too new and not one vision dominates the way people are riding. Just in my crew everyone rides a complete different way. we got a guy that just has me spin him at the rail in a figure 8 all day, we got the shuvit it kid, the sweedish(way too proper progresive edge technique)W2W guy, the lip trick guy, and then everyone else that falls all over in between. We all respect the tricks that everyone else is working on but have our own agenda of what we want to do. The only time we are all working on a common trick is when there is a new rail to ride. I can't see the fads coming into wakeskating until more people start riding at a higher level and influencing the next wave. Its tight that a pro rider doesn't influence what board people are riding. . Wakeskating is still in its infancy, the stupid board shapes that don't work, the crappy materials that don't belong in this medium. This is when every wakeskate abortion will come about, and we will ride them. It isn't about the wakeskate or the pull or the rope it is about the outlet. what was that Hstreet vid, Shackle me not.
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell f-ing yea foammesh

all of you guys have said everything that i would say, its nice to see that other people are so dedicated to the skate and lookin at it as they are wakeskaters and wakeboard when they want something different, i just got an 02 belmont and thinkin of selling it to my friend cuase i just dont plan on using it that much. When people ask me like what i do im like i wakeskate, and tehn i have to go and expalin to them what it is, i like doin that cuase then ive exposed somebody else to it, where as if i said i wakeboard then there just like o ok.

Brett Leadley
Criminal
Criminal

City: corner of 1st & 1st

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad there are so many free thinkers out there who share my same passion and respect for wakeskating- I mean, a lot of people try and compare it to wakeboarding and I hate that. I haven't wakeboarded since I started skating and there's a real good chance I'll never wakeboard again. Lately I've been driving to work an hour away, then after work drive another hour in the opposite direction just to get to skate behind my friends mom's seadoo for an hour til it gets dark. That's just one reason it's so great, how much fun do you think it would be to wakeboard behind a seadoo? None probably.

I can't think of anything that's played out yet, I was thinking there aren't even any tricks that are played out, I still love the way shuvits feel when you stick them good, I really dig the side camera angles in Linear and Snap, it makes even lipslides and stuff look sick.

One more thing it's funny I hear a lot of people talking out how skates don't last long, I have a 3D Cassette ridden about 100 times seriously, and even though I know it won't last that much longer I know I got my money's worth for sure. Thanks that's about all.
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeskating will nevr get old
K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think wood, and water don't mix..... Twisted Evil
Jeremy Coe
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Auckland

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3d, used for a season, no warping, no cracking, no problems. Maybe you have funny water in the states Twisted Evil
foammesh
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, the board talk reminded me of something. I picked up one of those new hype skates at the orlando stop and it was too light, the thing would blow away on w2w. I think I saw some press thing on the mutiny endurance series being lighter, I hope they arn't gonna be as light as that hype proto.
jibn-it-all
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno man my 2001 cassette super 8 is still dope, i have no regrets.

K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all I know is that I have a ton of customers bring back wood skates that are warping, cracking, and delaming....I'm not saying that foam and fiberglass is the way to go. More like someone needs to come out with something different that will withstand water better than whats out there now.
RUSSIAN
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NOR*CAL

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 3 year old cassette is holding up fine, but if I could get an upgrade I'm sure I could get it to warp Twisted Evil

K-dub wrote:
DRAGON88, everyone shall now call you Tinkerbu'....
el
Criminal
Criminal

City: eugenius

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not something everybody can do, but you can make a skate last longer by applying marine varnish or epoxy to leaky spots. Treat your board nice and it'll return the favor.
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think its not that everybody could do it, its were just lazy.
wakeboarder_dude22
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Australia

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know where it's gonna go, but I don't want wakeboarders and wakeskaters to split into two groups. I like it the way it is now, how both sports are so close together.
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think that the groups will split totally but i think most skaters just want to be known as our own sport.
B-rad
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how if you see someone else wakeskateing on the lake they still wave and are hyped up. With wakeboarding it seems like they try to throw a trick that is cooler or harder than what you just threw. I like to wakeboard more with people that are not trying to be overly hardcore about boarding. I haven't seen that at all in wakeskateing yet, although I dread the day it's going to happen.

Caretaker of the offical AGB beer mug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Butta Seeka
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea it probably will happen, its a dirty shame to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeskating All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: