Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Something else now to spend money on.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiqueman
Criminal
Criminal

City: Parrish / Bradenton

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Something else now to spend money on..... Reply with quote

So Ive been surfing (ocean) on and off for about 10 years now. Wakeboarding for about 12 and not once ever tried wake surfing until today. I must say that im hooked. We have very few areas that are decent to wakeboard around here and it always pi$$ed me off when some one would come out and wake surf and "roll" out out entire wakeboard run. This is in a river thats less than 100 yard wide and a few hundred yards long for our "recreational ski area". Anyway, We went out to a causeway today and a friend of mine brought his Seven, 6'4 fish. Wakeboarding was horrible due to 15 jetskis out there so we took a cruise out to an open area with no one around, threw in the 6'4 and after some trial and error we figured it out. What a rush. Its a lot more fun than I though it would be. It was only 2 of us, we had about 800lbs of ballast in the back of the boat (97 Super Sport/ Air). We filled only one side up first but it didnt seem to be enough to keep us going without struggling. Ive still got some tweaking to do, try and clean up the wake a bit, but Im guessing I just need more weight on the surfing side.

So, reading through some of the forums, I understand that wake surf boards differ in that they have a different rocker designed more for a boats wake and are wider. So being a 187 lb-er, what do you all recommend. I consider myself an average to above average surfer as well as wakeboarder. Im looking at the 5'6 Hyperlite Hyperlite Broadcast???

Any opinions, comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Heres a shot of me from today.
Thanks in advance
Scott
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: May 14, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and buy a true wakesurf board. The Big 3 manufacturers are ok at making small skim style boards, but the larger surf style boards are just boo. For an extra $100 or so you can get a board shaped by a surfer, made for wakesurfing. The HL broadcast is a heavy pig, made a like a wakeboard. Its slow and floats like its waterlogged. I honestly have not tried any of the LF or CWB boards, but I understand its more of the same. Yes, they will work, and yes you can let go of the rope, etc, but thats about it.

Might be tough to get a goofy wake going on that boat. From the pic, you definitely need more weight on the SB side. Good Luck.

WakeMikey
Addict
Addict

City: Fridley

PostPosted: May 15, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhawn what brands have you really liked? I'm assuming Inland Surfer, maybe Shred Stixx (aren't they pretty $$?) or Phase 5?

I just got my first inboard this spring and can't wait to surf. Wakeboarded a long time but never had the inboard. 87 Supra SunSport I have a thread on WW.

Anyways I have a true ocean surf board, it is a custom 5'6" and seems pretty agressive. It's not mine, I got it at a garage sale for $5. It says it was custom shaped on it! But I was hoping it would work for a little while so I could try wakesurfing out for a bit before buying a board.

I was pretty sure I would like surfing but was thinking a longboard would be better to learn before moving to a short board. But I dont' really want to buy the longboard if that's the case. I'd use the ocean surf board and then get a shortboard.

I've heard lots and lots of good things about the Liquid Force Custom. It is a hand shaped surf board basically.

Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: May 15, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a master of boards, and, its very possible the LF or CWB boards are good. I only know what I've read. I've got a Walker Project 5.0 Composite X in the mail to replace my HL Broadcast. I spent alot of time reading, asking around / talking to others before I bought.

Pretty sure you don't need a longboard to learn on though. I'm betting you could at least learn on your garage sale board and then buy something else down the road.

surfzup

City: Acworth

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a CWB and its great and easy to get a feel for. It looks kinda plain against the ones I have seen, but I LOVE it!!!! I weigh about 125 and can do it with 6 people in the back with no ballast, wedge or sac....but for more weight you would definitely need more push.

HAPPY SURFING!! Very Happy

DS3

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "real" wake surfboards are a little more expensive, but they are well worth it. They are WORLDS apart from the Hyperlite Broadcast and the Landlock. I started riding on these two boards and could move them around pretty good, but they are just so so.

The Liquid Force Custom boards are pretty good. The 4'10" is a single fin that is very surfy feeling and easy to ride. The 4'6" Thruster is a little faster and lots of fun too (as long as you aren't too big for it). These boards are defenitely a step up from the compression style or "wakeboard" style surfboards.

I got a Shred Stixx "Thresher" a few weeks ago and LOVE it! It is SO MUCH FASTER than the LF boards it is crazy! It is like 100 times different than than most of the boards on the market. I have a custom Vernor 4 fin being made for me and I would love to get a Phase 5 Drew before the summer is over to have a "skim style" board to ride as well!!

Wake Outlaws has a great surfing site. Check them out, this is the store and they have all the best boards and you can ask a ton of questions to get some answers.

https://generalstore.wakeoutlaws.com/wakesurfers.php

Good luck,
Derek
ShAkAjAcK
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Lexington

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant decide what i would rather ride. i know i either want the shred stixx thresher or the phase 5 drew but i dont know what would be more fun. i like doing small airs and such but i also want to be able to do shuvs too. anyone have a preference to help me decide haha.
yod210

City: Angola

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShAkAjAcK, do u live on giest in indy? cuz i live in fort wayne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: