Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Having trouble learning how to ollie!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmithMtnBoarderz

City: Richmond, VA

PostPosted: May 29, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Having trouble learning how to ollie!! Reply with quote

Whats up everyone. I can't ollie. Embarassed It sucks. Sad Does anyone have any pointers for me. I try what everyone says (push down on my back foot and jump/lift up with my fron foot but I just can't seem to leave the water) Maybe I'm still doing it wrong. Keep in mind I am a little over 6'2'' and I'm 205lbs, maybe that has something to do with the way I am going about this. Thanks, any pointers you can give me would help me so much. Thanks again everyone.
Buergday

PostPosted: May 29, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'1", 185, and I can ollie, so the problem must be with your technique. Ollieing is not at all like jumping on solid ground. You use the boyancy of the board and the pressure of the water on the base to pop yourself out of the water like a cork. You don't really have to lift up with your front foot either. Basically, (all in one motion) just bend your knees, push the base of the board down flat into the water with a little more force on your back foot (keep the tip out of the water, of course), then kinda spring your knees straight again while pulling back a bit on the rope (line tight) - once you start to pop up out of the water, bend your knees again to get clearance from the surface. It's kinda hard to explain, but once you get it, it'll be second nature. Just think about how a cork looks when you push it down under water and let go - that's the basic idea. It's also kinda like jumping on a big soft springy bed.
Don't worry, you'll get it soon - just keep trying.
Mythodikal
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Beaumont, TX

PostPosted: May 29, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just try and get a rythm goin by bouncin your weight on your back foot ... u should start buildin on it by pushin down more and more each time untill u start feelin the board come outta the water ... then u will have the feel for olliein
simba
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Jax

PostPosted: May 29, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what crazy says, thats how i learned and its almost impossible NOT to learn it that way.
SmithMtnBoarderz

PostPosted: May 30, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'll try it this weekend when I go out. I think 2 of my friends from the local board shop are coming out so if I can't get it with the advise you all gave me then I will have to see if my friends can help. Thanks for the advise though, I'll give it a shot.
silver girl
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: England

PostPosted: May 31, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went i ollie i kind of bounce without leavin da water
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Australia, W.A

PostPosted: May 31, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How high can yall ollie i can ollie abt 45cms
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 31, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know in cm .... but im thinkin bout 2 feet at the most
wakeboarder_dude22
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Australia

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How high do u need to be able to ollie to do bs 180s?
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Australia, W.A

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can do ollie bs 180's with abt a foot of height there just the same as regular ones just ur landing blind

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats up everyone. I went out this weekend and I ollied!!!! Very Happy I only got about a foot at most off the water but i did it. I found it was easier on my trip 43 than it was on the balance 140 that I demoed from my board shop. Could it have something to do with the size of the board making it easier? It may have just been that I wasn't 100% used to the balance though. Anyway, I did it so now all I need to do is try and use the line tension more and maybe I can get higher. Thanks for the help and if anyone has any more pointers please let me know. Thanks again.
Jeffro
Addict
Addict

City: Austin, Texas

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you figured it out (for the most part). the bigger board will help since you are 205 lbs.

Line tension will help as well. Try doing it with different tensions on the rope. The tighter it becomes, the more 'pop' you will gain. You can ollie with less tension, but usually that means you are going slower over the water and sinking in a bit more. The more pressure you have under the board (due to a combo of line tension and speed across the water) the easier it should be....at least in my experience. I like to ollie 180 after coming w2w and getting to the end of the "pendulum" outside the wake (just before you start to go back in to the wake). the line is tight, and the speed is good for it.
stingray72

City: atlanta, ga

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like to ollie 180 after coming w2w and getting to the end of the "pendulum" outside the wake (just before you start to go back in to the wake). the line is tight, and the speed is good for it.

I agree with Jeffro, I think it's easier to ollie out in the flats at a higher speed. The water is "harder" and makes it easier to jump. I'm about 6'1" and ~200 lbs and it's hard for me to ollie directly behind the boat
wakeup
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: michigan

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can ollie about a foot, any tips on how to get higher?
malaka

City: Tervuren, Belgium

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can ollie about 6 inches, or so, but I've only tried it like 5 times...
bmm
Criminal
Criminal

City: milwaukee, wisconsin

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get the basics of the ollie use your arms more tohelp get you higher. Start with the normal ollie but throw both arms up as you snap the tail suck your front foot up hard and then pull the back foot up and level off. parks ollies a kicker in natural born thrillaz thats like 4 feet high
Mythodikal
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dahm ... obviously I need to get that vid sounds killer .... I been wantin to try and ollie the boat lane bouys ... I've almost gotten enough height maybe if I get the thing with the arms down I'll be able to do it cause this is the first time I ever heard ne thing bout that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: