Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Super Air nautique 210 Vs X star

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosh
Criminal
Criminal

City: SLP

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Super Air nautique 210 Vs X star Reply with quote

Hi

Im looking for a wakeboard boat because I have just sold mine and I have found that I can buy for about the same price a SAN 210 and an Xstar, both options are the same year (2000 or 2001), about the same extras, any opinions based on perfermance and quality, I have no preference about brand, Also considering some other options like Malibu, Supra, Moomba, etc. but I have heard great things about the SAN and the X star so its a hard choice.

Thanks

Sbt3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Okauchee

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both are going to be good choices. The 210 will have a little steeper wake. It really comes down to wake preference. My guess is that you will be fine with either one and get use to the wake on either one. I have a 210(supersport) and love it but I was also looking for the x-star(205V) or Malibu vlx when I bought mine. I happen to come across the nautique first and bought it. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I personally had a hard time with the nautique wakes the first few times I rode them but now I love it.
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Boston MA, Wolfeboro NH, DelRay FL, Montego Bay, Jamaica

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 of the best boats for the sport ever made.

Can't go wrong either way. Congrats in advance on making a good decision.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Erik has already said - Both great boats.

Quality, reputation, resale and price are all similar... There only a few differences to take into consideration with these boats, most apparent being:
The X star (Old X2, current X1) handles rough water a touch better (so if you are on the ocean go with this boat, or if on a big lake consider this a plus). The 210 reacts better to weight, a little goes a long way in the 210, I believe the factory weighted wake of the 210 to be bigger than the X star (my opinion!)... not to say the x star can't go as big (it can) just takes more weight. Both handle differently - but equally well.

I had this option back in 2005 when buying new.. I chose the Nautique (210 Ltd + all Team options apart from a tower as I added my own). I felt at that moment in time it was the better boat.... I still stand by that. However if my choice was to be made again on new boats in 2006 (last year for the 210, xstar then badged as X1), it'd probably be the other way round - There is that little in it! Both incredible boats.... Very Happy

Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an 01 xstar for a long time. I did have some problems with it, but if one's made it this far, the current owner has probably had them taken care of. I will tell you this. (1) look closely at the interior of any 01-02 xstar. if there are any pink spots or splotches on the interior, just know that those spots will keep coming up all over the boat. They are not stains, but a discoloration in the vinyl. MC denies it, but I've been told that some of the vinyl used in the 01-02 line didn't protect that well against certain microorganisms, which feed on the glue behind the vinyl and cause a pink/tannish discoloration to form. MC replaced the entire interior my boat, and two of my friends 01's because of this issue. However, not every boat will have that problem. If you never leave it outside, covered, and always dry it out and let it air dry, you'll be better off. I never had that option, as mine was stored outside under a bunch of trees - so I always had mine covered up quick.
(2) check the inside hull of the boat for any oil or grease residue. The 01-02's had a very low transimission vent, which would allow water to get into the tranny if you let a decent amount build up in the bilge. If any water gets into the tranny on these boats, it will blow a seal and cause a leak. If that seal busts, then you have to get the tranny pulled to replace it. My boat only had the rear drain plug in it, and no center drain. It rained for several days one summer and, while the rear plug was open, water built up in the front of the boat. Well, I went to take the boat out, put the plug in before I left the house, backed the boat in at the ramp, started it up, and flooded the tranny because there was just enough water that had sloshed back in the engine compartment to reach the vent. Luckily, I pulled some strings at MC and got a new tranny put in my boat, and had the updated, higher, vent installed.

My point is that if there's residue in the bilge of any 01/02, they probably had the same problem that I had (and several others I new had) with their tranny seals. Unless they got a new tranny, there will likely be some rust/deterioration of the transmission in such a boat.

Just be careful. But for those two issues, I had no major problems with my xstar. (although I did eventually replace every single ballast pump, a perfect pass display, alternator and water pump...)

IMO, the wake behind the xstar was awsome!
Rosh
Criminal
Criminal

City: SLP

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I belive its very usefull to know what to look for in a boat to know if it will be a problem in the future. So all that info I can get about the options im considering is apreciated.

Thanks

Rosh

Laptom
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Eindhoven

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both of these boat and can confirm anything people said. They are both great boats. Plusses and minussen are about the same. Except what britrider said about rough water ride. I really believe that the 210 hull has a smoother ride then the x-star. I rode them on the same day on the same water and the difference was small but noticible. They both s#ck in my opinion for rough water rides Very Happy . The PCM engine is a bit better on fuel then the Indmar in the Mastercraft. Performance is the same (310hp versions).
Out of the box/standard ballast the 210 has a little bit firmer and bigger wake. But loaded the x-star/205 could be the same. The wake shapes are really different; 210 has a steep hard wake, 205/xstar has a rampy bit softer wake. Those are just personel preferences. I actually like them both Rolling Eyes .

You really cannot go wrong with these 2 boats. We sold our 2000 210 for a 2004 X2. And sold this one last year for a 2006 210... I would not hesitate to go back to Mastercraft after this one... A new Xstar.... Or a CC220... Wink
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always described the wake on the 205 as being like a perfect mound - whereas the wake on the 210 is the perfect ramp. I love both.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laptom, Do you not find the extra freeboard of the old X star a bonus in rougher water? The 210 rolls like crazy just sitting still when hit by a bit of boat wash... far more than the X star IMO!
r3612
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Chicago IL

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 200 X-Star and looked at the same boats when I was buying mine.

PRos on the Nauti
-Tower is a little better than on the 2000 X-Star
-Takes less weight o get a bigger wake
-Little better rough water ride I mean little.
-drivers seat is by far the most comfotable to sit in all day long
-Peaky bucky type wake for huge staright up moves

Cons on the Nauti
-very tight on storage space
-Gauges were terrible and very faulty
-ballast system was a pain in the arse
-passenger seats and bow seats much lower profile tha the X-star.
-bow seats weren't very deep I have 2 little ones and I wouldn't feel safe at all with them up there
Peaky bucky type wake with small landing zone (hard on the knees and not beginner freindly at all)IMO

Pros X-Star
-More storage
-deeper cockpit and bow seats
-Wake can be tweaked to have a kick or ramped out depending on which way you have it setup
-wake is beginner friendly and has longer smoother take-offs and longer smoother landing zones
-ballast system very straight forward and easy to use

Cons of X-Star
-Takes about 1200lbs to get an intermediate level wake out of it
-Tower in 2000 is sturdy but has had some problems. Also a little tougher to get to boards than on the Nauti
-wake is beginner friendly and has longer smoother take-offs and longer smoother landing zones (some prefer the NAuti characteristics)
-uses more fuel due to more ballast.
-had some vinyl issues in 2000-2001 on some boat not all. Mine has had zero problems

Both boats had 1 piece hatches in 2000 which I really wanted a 2001 for as the single rear hatch is just annoying to get to gear when you change riders. But you see where that ranked as I went witha 2000. When you come across a clean boat you come across a clean boat. 1 piece hatch wasn't a deal breaker, but was something I was looking to avoid.
All in all pretty close to identical quality and performance just some minor differences in which you would have to decide on which you like. For me my wife who just jumps the wake toeside and heelside loves the shape of the X-Star wake and how not intimidating it is compared to the Nauti which we ride behind quite a bit as my buddy owns an 03. I also think why everyone always raves about the Nauti wake is because it lets you get away with terrible form and basics and will still get you flying. No matte how you hit it it will pop you.

Me, 29yrs old, having 4 legit inverts (back roll, tantrum, Ts backroll and switch roll to revert and a scarecrow close enough but only land 1 out of every 3) and being the rider who wants to progress but not going pro I prefer the X-star wake as well. I will never pass up a pull behind a 210 but I can say it jars me a little after a day behind it landing in the flats and on their abrubt landing zone. Wouldn't want that everytime I rode, but that is just me preference as I know just a many people who love it.
P hat in Cincy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Greater Cincinnati

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that era "X-star" hull ('04 205V) and I love it. I freely admit that I get really excited (and a little intimidated) when I ride behind my buddy's '01 SAN. Getting booted off that wake is fun...and reminds me how bad I really am!

I really love our boat and wouldn't trade it, but if I had to...that era SAN would be it for me.

Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cons of X-Star
-Takes about 1200lbs to get an intermediate level wake out of it

Hmmm. I would say it takes less than that to get a phenomenal wake out of an X-Star. I'm someone who weight the SAN with around 1500lbs, and conversely I was very happy with how the X-Star performed with just a big belly tank, and 3 people on the boat. Nothing else.

That mound it makes. It is a thing of beauty.
razor
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rosh,
You came to the right place for some good info. These guys gave me some great advice when I was boat shopping. But I think it was Erik that pointed out the importance of the dealer you will be going to for service. Certainly consider that, because there can be a big difference from one to another. Good Luck, can't really go wrong with your options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: