Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

HS 180s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PimpinD
Addict
Addict

City: Orlando, FL

PostPosted: May 05, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: HS 180s Reply with quote

ive been trying to land an HS 180 for a couple days now... i take a nice progressive edge cut, and pop up, i delay the spin a lil, and land backwards, but always loose the handle and just ride backwards until i sink??? any tips?
Also i ride left foot front, which way should i be spinning, i spin my right foot around, i think thats right.
MinnDizzyG
Addict
Addict

City: I can see Mystic Lake

PostPosted: May 05, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey PimpinD -
Since I just learned these last year I may not be qualified to give advice, but he!! when has that ever stopped me? Very Happy I had similar problems - what I did was 1) hold the bar in an over-under so that my back hand/arm gripped underhand, then 2) after popping, to execute the spin I pull the bar to my back hip with the back arm, and finally 3) hold on like it's the last beer on the planet.

I think (but am not sure) that pulling on the line to execute the spin helps because the boat doesn't yank you quite so hard when you land, but a more experienced rider may know better. Using this formula I landed them first try both reg and switch. Mr. Green
Thing is, I didn't need to hold on with the front hand, just the back.

Good luck - let us know how it goes!

"I'd like to do now a sort of a gut-bucket bolero, in a primitive rhythm, executed in a pre-primitive manner."
- Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington, Paris, 1963
toothpick
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Clermont

PostPosted: May 05, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, holding on is the key here Laughing

What I found with beginning to learn spins, is that the quickest way to get comfortable with it, is by doing small ones first. Get comfortable popping off that left wake hs and doing a little 180 from the inside of the wakes, landing where you would on the wake to wake one. When you land, do it just like you would wake to wake, bend your knees good and edge away from the wake...and hold on to that handle! Once you have those smooth, taking it wake to wake will be nothing.
NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chicago-ish

PostPosted: May 06, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice Toothpick. I learned them by going inside out. IMO, the key is keeping the handle oriented to your lead hip and edging toward the shore (away from the wake) when you land. But taking it one wake before w2w is key....oh yeah, hang on to the handle Laughing
PimpinD
Addict
Addict

City: Orlando, FL

PostPosted: May 06, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aight im gonna try the one wake style ...
J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: May 06, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spin with your hips and you should have no problem's.
I learned the HS BS 180 with the one wake approach and it worked great. Again,you need to be in the air before you start to spin but if you snap it around with the hips you should be fine.

Holding on to the handle with both hands until you are in the air also keeps you on axis and makes the spin easier, this applies to all spins for me. When you let go early you have a tendency to let your arm out.

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

City: Baylor

PostPosted: May 06, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned it w2w first, with a method grab. But, I guess I'm always the odd one Very Happy
But, the advantage to grabbing with the front hand is that the boat naturally pulls you around for the 180 when you do this, then just land with your weight way over your toes. After sticking them w2w, try and take it big into the flats, same principal, just land edging even harder on your toeside edge

An eye for an eye will make the world blind.
-Gandhi

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
-Che Guevera
anti-shoobies
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ghettoburg

PostPosted: May 07, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, don't do a progressive cut, do an ollie edge, which is a constant edge. Keep the handle close into your body. When you pop off the wake pull the handle closer to your rear hip which will start the spin and land over your toes with the handle in tight to your body.
hundel
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 15, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't edge hard on your toeside switch, you are obviously going to either 1) take a spill or 2) lose the rope. Make sure you can cut toeside switch as well as you think you can - that was my problem.
all2matt
Criminal
Criminal

City: coralville

PostPosted: May 27, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found it is easier to learn these with a grab cause ti helps you keep on axis and in control grab slob and slowly pull the rope to your back hip then poke it that extra little bit to get the full rotation. Lean forward a little bit to stay on you ts edge and not slip out
Zee
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 29, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised hundel was the only one to mention this, but you should really get comfortable riding switch first. If you don't ride switch much and are sketch, then your chances of landing switch and riding away are slim. Try getting up switch and cruising around, carving the wake and stuff then ollie back to your regular position, and then try your 180s. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: